I was diagnosed with IDC, grade 2 in January of this year. I had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction at the end of February, and still undergoing expansion. My final pathology showed one 2.1 cm tumor, one 1cm tumor and approximately a 5 cm mass of DCIS. I had 2 sentinel nodes removed and one showed a micrometastatis of less than 2mm. My case was reviewed by a multidisciplinary tumor board and radiation wasn't recommended, but the oncotype test was. My score was 23 and my… read more
I had an oncotype of only 5 but still decided on chemo. I ended up only having 3 chemo treatments because I had allergic reaction to taxotere. It is a very hard decision. I didn't want to have a recurrence and always wonder if I should have had chemo. I cannot say with certainty that it was the right decision but I think if I were faced with the decision again I would likely do the same thing.
One thing which tipped the scale for me was the long term recurrence risk. I think the oncotype report goes out either 5 or 10 years.
I went on a different site which seemed to indicate the risk of recurrence over a longer period was quite a bit lower with chemo than without.
I had invasive lobular with an oncotype of 20 and chose to skip the chemo ( intermediate range) I also was not sure what to do about the 4 doses of chemo ! I decided for me it would not benefit me that much and am now on tamoxofien . I wish you well with your decision .🌷
Thank you, ladies! I was really struggling with this and fortunately for me, a new test came available in the US recently, the Endopredict test, and my doctor has agreed to run it for me to help with a decision. We'll be the first in the area to request the test, so keeping my fingers crossed. The test is similar to the mamma print, I think, in that it will tell me whether I'm at a high or low risk of recurrence over the next 10 years. Black and white, which is what I need....no huge shades of gray!
sea cucumber