Connect with others who understand.

  • Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  • Real advice from people who’ve been there
  • People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyBCTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I was diagnosed with Extensive DCIS, estrogen receptor positive with a very small amount of microinvasion cancerous cells.
I tested negative to the BCRA1 & BCRA2 gene.
I had a bilateral mastectomy and my medical oncologist has given me an option to take or not take tamoxifen.
I am just trying to get some feedback so I can make the right decision.

March 12, 2016 (edited)
 · 
Reactions
A MyBCTeam Member

Jen, obviously, you're ER+, since your Onco gave you the option of a hormone antagonist. Check your Allred score, or, more specifically, what percentage of your cells stained positive on your pathology report. If you are weakly positive, there may be very little difference in taking or not taking Tam in terms of reccourence risk.
A high percentage may warrant Tam use and it's potential side effects.
Less directly related to hormone sensitivity, you tumor grade will give you a clue about the aggressiveness of your particular cancer. If the cells were found to be well-differentiated, should a recurrence occur, it's slower pace of development and spread could give you enough wiggle room to perhaps consider forgoing the headache of Dealing with Tam.
It appears you are on the younger side. Age matters to some, in terms of statistical likelihood of relapse before natural death. If you could have many decades ahead of you, it might be well worth the insurance statistically to take on a tamoxafin regimen.

It's a lot to consider, I know. I'd suggest a talk with your breast care navigator who can help you understand your pathology report more concisely. Likely you'll find many clues there to help guide you in your decision.

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/...

((Hug))

March 12, 2016
A MyBCTeam Member

I had IDC and DCIS...Bilateral Mastectomy almost a year ago...Tamoxifen was recommended, so I tried it for about 2 months. Side effects were terrible, so talked to my Oncologist and was able to quit with her blessings. My chance of reoccurrence was law to start...18% chance that it will come back. and 9% chance that it will come back if I continued the Tamoxifen. The side effects weren't worth it to me. I know of some that do fine on it... Maybe you want to give it a try and see how you do...

March 12, 2016 (edited)
A MyBCTeam Member

What stage were you? if you had stage 0, I would feel okay with not going on Tamoxifen. Go with your gut, its always your best advice. Hugs to you!

March 12, 2016 (edited)
A MyBCTeam Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I can imagine how tough that is, that your Onc is giving you the option. I would much rather have the Onc make that decision. I personally would take it, because.... it can mean keeping cancer at bay. I'm sorry you have to make that decision. :O(

March 12, 2016
A MyBCTeam Member

Thank you!

March 16, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyBCTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fremont, CA

A MyBCTeam Member asked a question 💭