My surgery was what they call prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I had tissue expanders placed in pockets in my chest wall. Also Botox was injected into the the chest muscle so it wouldn't spasm. During the fillings I did experience some spasming but not bad. My PS prescribe Valium for this spasming and three months later I had my exchange surgery and nipple reconstruction. I'm happy with my implants and so far decided not to have the tattooing of the nipples.
@A MyBCTeam Member, well initially I have a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy and 6 weeks of radiation. Pathology came back on the tumor no clear margins and 31 lymph nodes lit up but only one was confirmed for cancer. My breast surgeon gave me the option to either go back in and take more tissue or I could have prophylactic bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction and I chose mastectomy. She recommended the OncoType test, which came back that I didn't need chemo. I consulted with a radiation oncologist and he said because my breast cancer was caught early and I elected to have bilateral mastectomy and my chest muscle is health there was not need for radiation. All I needed was surgical intervention and phases of reconstuction. I'm happy with the results. My plastic surgeon did an amazing job on my new boobs. I'm having injectable collagen injected into my reconstructed nipples. I've decided not to have the tattooing.
That is interesting. I was also told that I would most likely not need radiation. Then we met with a radiologist (whom I didn't care for) just to rule it out. I too was told by surgeon mastectomy, everything contained, margines good. Well the radiologist said there could be up to a 20% chance of local recurrence. She isn't positive where I fall, blah, blah blah, Apparently because I had 2 positive lymph nodes this is a "grey" area. I will be the one who has to decide. I need to get my ducks in a row before making the decision. Met with PS Friday and she said that radiation is going to be hard on my expanders but it isn't impossible. She doesn't think I will do that bad if that is the choice I make. Except for the longer wait to get the implants in. I am also going to get tamoxifen after the 6 sessions of chemo. I have 2 more to go!!! OMG I can't wait!!!!How about you?
I had my onco type test done. The numbers came out low so I went into a study yes chemo or no chemo random drawn.I was picked to do chemo so here I am halfway through my chemo. It is nice to have the numbers to refer back to. I have one expander in (BC right side) and am also trying to decide if I will need radiation. I would recommend to do the onco test.
PSK, Oncotype takes the DNA of your tumor and comes up with a "recurrence score". You can find more information here: http://www.oncotypedx.com/. Most oncology teams use the score to determine the course of treatment for you, whether you do or do not need chemotherapy. I hope this is helpful...hugs, Lisa