I also am looking for "the answer" I had a lumpectomy 4 weeks ago. Stage I - Grade 2 P+E+ Her- Nodes were clean. They thought just radiation but got my oncotype today 26 and oncologists is recommending 4 rounds but said it is my final decision because gray area? He said we don't want to look back 5-10 years from now and say we should have done it. Any thoughts one way or other.?
My diagnosis was exactly like yours except I was invasive lobular with an Oncotype score of 20 . I did not do the chemo but did the 35 rads . Your decesion has to be one that gives you the most peace . I will pray for your choice!!
I, too, am ER+, PR+, HER2-, grade 2, stage IV (currently) but, 3 years ago was ER/PR+, HER2-, grade 2, stage IIIB. I was told that my excisional biopsy/lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy was enough to put my cancer into remission but was given free reign over my treatment plan. After weighing every single option and replaying every scenario possible, I choose to be aggressive. Given my age (25 years old at the time ) I just knew that it wasn't over. I always knew it would come back. But, in the spirit of fighting, I opted for a double mastectomy, 8 rounds of dose-dense chemo, and 31 rounds of radiation. 8 months after my initial diagnosis, I was in remission. Unfortunately, I couldn't handle the side effects of the Tamoxifen and only took it for 3 months. Fast forward to today: I'm now 30 years old, Stage IV, with mets on my liver, my entire pelvis, and multiple areas on my spine. I've already had 16 rounds of radiation and am on hormone therapy. I'm happily responding well so far! Even though it came back, I never regretted being so aggressive with my treatment...I'm taking the same approach this time too! I'll be keeping you in my prayers and, remember, trust your instincts...you are your best advocate!
I have the exact story you have except I had a double mastectomy (somethng I chose to do) same stage, grade and ++- clean nodes. My onco score was 25. The oncologist sat with me for an hour because it is a gray area. It depends on the individual and the aspects of their tumor. Since mine was exactly like yours, I wanted to share what I did. My oncologist said that the onco test does not take into consideration if your are taking Tamoxifen so by taking tamoxien it lowers your score to about 17 which now is in the lower area. She said people go either way and it is a individual decision. But the side effect of Chemo may not be worth it as what PennyK mentioned above. Hopefully if you are taking tamoxifen or aromotase then that is working for you. We cannot tell you what to do; you must make that decision on your own but I am happy to share what I decided to do. I pray every day I made the right decision. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
I would say no chemo. Just watch your immune system with what you eat and drink. Also check in with a mammogram at least yearly. For your diagnosis I believe the chemo risks out weigh your situation. Good luck with whatever you decide.
again thanks everyone for the input. Just hearing what others did helps. This is all so new and anxious for me. I like to feel like I have control and right now feeling like I lost control and need to regain my life. And I know everyone is different and has different situations but it is comforting to hear others have gone through this