I had a BMX on February 17, stage 1a, no node involvement, ES+,Pr+,HER- . I am to get my Oncotype results Monday. If I have to have chemo, I am interested in delaying it until summer, end of June. Is it unreasonable of me to ask this? If chemo is suggested, it is "preventative" as they are very convince surgery removed all of tumor and there was no evidence in any of the other samples tested. She was so convinced she is not cooperating in me asking for a pet scan.
Am I being foolish to want… read more
My Dr said it was very important to start chemo ASAP. I am Stage 1. I had my surgery on 1/22/14 and my first chemo 2/21/14. My son graduates from college on May, we worked out a schedule so I will be between treatments. I will have finished AC 2 weeks before his graduation and won't start Taxol for another week. I honestly feel better knowing I am actively doing something to prevent this cancer from ever coming back.
I had surgery in June and started chemo in August. I remember reading that 12 weeks is about the longest they want to go in terms of waiting to start chemo. Of course, it is ultimately up to you to choose.
If it were me I would wait to see what the Oncotype results are. If the score is lower to mid-range, that may factor into your decision. I totally get you not wanting to let chemo ruin these events. I will tell you that my experience with chemo was that I felt horrible for a week and a half and then normal for a week and a half. I think that is somewhat typical, although it's impossible to know for sure how things will go. If you can time your chemo treatments around these events, that might make it easier. I was able to time my chemo treatments so that Thanksgiving and Christmas weren't ruined because of my treatment effects. Just a thought. Hopefully you will have a low Oncotype score and all this will be moot.
I had a lumpectomy, I was stage I, grade I, one lymphnode .2mm positive for cancer, oncotype score of 6. I had surgery at the end of August, and didn't start chemo until after thanksgiving.
@A MyBCTeam Member - Just curious, with an Oncotype score of 6, why did you choose to have chemo?
Wow. That window is closed already. I will meet oncologist for this second meeting exactly 6 weeks after surgery. This makes me this she is not overly concerned. Now, I am...