Connect with others who understand.

  • Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  • Real advice from people who’ve been there
  • People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyBCTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, at the age of 27. My husband and I froze embryos at that time. I'm now so uncertain about our future of starting a family. I'm wondering if anyone has had a surrogate and how it worked. Or, if you became pregnant after breast cancer, how was that? I have over 2 years of Tamoxifen left and maybe 8 years with the new studies. I have fear of stopping Tamoxifen to get pregnant and the cancer returning. Thanks for any information you can provide! :)

April 21, 2013 (edited)
 · 
Reactions
A MyBCTeam Member

Hey Janell,

I'm in the same boat as you. Only I'm about 2.5 yrs out from diagnosis and my husband and I just started talking about maybe trying for another baby. I didn't have any embryos frozen (miscarried during treatment, so that wasn't an option), so we're hoping and praying that the "good old fashioned way" works for us.

The good news is that I know several women personally that have had good luck conceiving after cancer. One of my very good cancer buddies just stopped Tamoxifen at the 2 year mark and got pregnant 2 months later. It happens more often than doctors sometimes lead us to believe, particularly for us survivors that were very young at time of DX (under the age of 35).

If you'd like to talk to more young survivors, particularly some that have had surrogates, try the young survivor boards. www.youngsurvival.org (I think).

In terms of deciding if you should stop Tamoxifen, I'd encourage you to talk to your oncologist. Depending on your oncotype score, your onc might have a variety of opinions. If you are highly hormone positive... he might suggest surrogacy. If you're middle of the road in terms of being ER+/PR+, he might pat you on the back and say "it's OK to take the risk".

I still haven't made my decision on if I'm ready to try again... but I think I might. It's a scary idea. It is scary to think "what if it comes back and there is a child that will be left without a mom?" But there also has to be a point when you and your husband decide that regardless of what the future holds, this is something you want to do.

I wish you all the best. Good luck with your decision.

April 22, 2013 (edited)
A MyBCTeam Member

While conceiving after treatment was not an option for me, I have a good friend who got hormone active BC stage II while she was pregnant with her first child. The doctors wanted her to terminate the pregnancy (she was nearing the end of the first trimester) because they wanted to do surgery and start chemo right away. She refused, but did agree to give birth at 8 months. The baby was delivered by c-section and she immediately had surgery to remove the tumor. A week later she was on chemo. After the usual surgery, chemo, radiation and then 2 years of tamoxifen, she conceived her second child, who was carried to term and born without complications. That was 25 years ago! BTW.... both children grew up healthy and graduated from college. My friend remains healthy and cancer free! So yes, it is possible!

April 25, 2013 (edited)
A MyBCTeam Member

My husband and I froze embryos as well. I am 32 and just started my tamoxifen journey 3 weeks ago. We are strongly considering surrogacy for a first child. My deepest concern is not being able to carry a child at the end of all this or if the BC returns because of the hormones (triple+). Then I will have waited all this time for nothing. We've done some preliminary research and independent surrogates run between $40k - $60k when all is said and done.

April 28, 2013 (edited)
A MyBCTeam Member

they did adopt them..

April 25, 2013
A MyBCTeam Member

You have to talk to your OB-GYN if a male, get a second opinion from a female, depends on your stage don't be discouraged, you need some expert advice and I would seek it out, even if going out of your medical group..there is so much new medical protocol out there, especially if child-bearing age and if they so no, adoption is still an option..I also would like to say Foster Children can fill some what of a void, my step-daughter could not have children, did invitro twice, very expensive so she took in 2 foster children (not babies) 2 & 4 and now 16 & 18 (graduating in June)has not been an easy road but fulfilling, for them..

April 25, 2013

Related Questions

View All
A MyBCTeam Member asked a question 💭
Seattle, WA

A MyBCTeam Member asked a question 💭
Mars Hill, NC